Matt Gowan - Naturopathic Doctor
Matt Gowan received his honours biochemistry degree from the University of Waterloo. He was employed for several years as a pharmaceutical researcher. Recognizing that health cannot be achieved through pharmaceutical drugs alone, Matt became a naturopathic doctor in 2003. He continued his training by completing the two-year “Clinical Residency Program” at the Canadian College of Naturopathic Medicine (CCNM). He has additional training in medical acupuncture from McMaster University.
His emphasis is on the prevention and treatment of imbalance, symptoms, and disease in the body.
Matt has worked for the CCNM research department for over 2 years, having a strong interest in evidence-based medicine. Matt is constantly staying abreast of new research and in 2004 he created the software & website company “NDAssist Inc. that disseminates research and treatment options to students and healthcare practitioners through the NHP Assist website.
Matt has supervised students at the Canadian College of Naturopathic Medicine (CCNM) clinic and Parkdale Community Health Centre (PCHC) from 2004-2015. He has taught pharmacology and herbal medicine at CCNM since 2005. He has published several peer-reviewed research articles over his career, and is the co-author of two textbooks: “Principals and Practice of Naturopathic Botanical Medicine” and “Fundamentals of Clinical Acupuncture”. He is currently seeing patients at the Guelph Naturopathic Medical Clinic.
Matt has 12 years of clinical experience treating a wide variety of medical conditions including:
- Food sensitivities
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
- Inflammatory Bowel Syndrome (IBD)
- Infantile colic
- Weight loss
- Cardiovascular disease
- Blood Pressure
- Poor Energy
- Poor Immune Function
- CEO (2003-Present) NDAssist Inc and creator of NHP Assist website
- Naturopathic Doctor (2014 Present) Guelph Naturopathic Medical Clinic Guelph, ON
- Professor Herbal Medicine & Pharmacology (2007-Present) at Canadian College of Naturopathic Medicine
- Clinic Supervisor (2005-2015) at CCNM Robert Schad Naturopathic Clinic and Parkdale Community Health Center
- Research Assistant Biochemistry & Organic Chemistry (1995-1997) Merck Frosst Canada
- Laboratory Assistant Analytical Chemistry (1994) Eli Lilly and Company
- Administrative Assistant (1993-1994) Agriculture Canada
- Research Resident (2005-2007) from Canadian College of Naturopathic Medicine
- Clinic Resident (2004-2005)from Canadian College of Naturopathic Medicine
- Medical Acupuncturist (2003) from McMaster University
- Naturopathic Doctor (1999-2003)from Canadian College of Naturopathic Medicine
- Biochemistry -Honours Co-Op (1992-1998) from University of Waterloo
- Case Report Award (2007) from Canadian Association of Naturopathic Doctors (CAND)
- NSERC Undergraduate Student Research Award in Industry (1997) from Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada
- University of Waterloo Faculty of Science Work Term Report (1996) from Faculty of Science Work Term Report: Eli Lilly Canada Inc. Award
- Anthony Godfrey, Paul Saunders, Kerry Barlow, Matt Gowan Principles and Practices of Naturopathic Botanical Medicine: Volume 1: Botanical Medicine Monographs CCNM Press, 2012.
- Neemez Kassam, Matt Gowan Fundamentals of Clinical Acupuncture CCNM Press, 2009.
- Brenda M. Y. Leung, ND, MSc, Gillian Flower, ND, BA, Kieran Cooley, ND, MSc, Chris Habib, ND, MSc, Matt Gowan, ND, Stefan Podgrabinski, Dugald Seely, ND, MSc Assessing the Utility of an Electronic Research Database to Capture Whole Systems Practice at Two Naturopathic Outpatient Teaching Clinics Journal of Evidence-Based Complementary & Alternative Medicine, Dec 26, 2012 Vol 18, Issue 3, 2013
- Christopher Habib, ND, Matthew Gowan, Stefan Podgrabinski, Tom Grodski, Brenda Leung, Maria Shapoval, Dugald Seely, Kieran Cooley Treating Type 2 Diabetes: A Cross-sectional Audit of Naturopathic Standards of Care Using the Naturopathic Patient Database Journal of Evidence-Based Complementary & Alternative Medicine, 17(2) 108-116, 2012
- Peter Zakrzewski, Mathew Gowan, Laird A. Trimble, CK Lau ortho-Hydroxyalkylation of Aminopyridines: A Novel Approach to Heterocycles. Volume 31, Issue 8, February 22, 2000
- Mathew Gowan, Laird A. Trimble, CK Lau Synthesis of 3-Alkoxyindoles via Palladium Catalyzed Intra-molecular Cyclization of N-Alkyl ortho-Sioxyallylaniline. Synlett, 11: 1312-4. 1998
- Causes of IBS
- Natural treatments for IBS
- SIBO – An overlooked cause of IBS
- Foods for constipation
- Natural laxatives